30 November 2006

Vin Brule almost makes up for there being no hot apple cider.

I was sad that I missed Christmas village with my mom (at least for her, she got to go with her sister, and I heard they had a splendid time,) and now, I don't even have to be sad because the German Christmas market has arrived in Piazza Santa Croce bearing treats of all kinds, including, but not limited to the following:

Bratwurst and Saurkraut (I can't spell German.)
Brezel (aka. Pretzels, which are incredible)
sausages and salamis
ornaments
gloves and hats
potpouri and candles
jewelry
befana dolls
vin brule (delicious)
dutch cheese
goolash (again, Italian I can do, German, not so much)
German and Austrian cookies
pretty much all things that smell heavenly

Apparently there's a Scottish Christmas market that opens next week in Santa Maria Novella and an ice skating rink in some piazza I don't know how to get to but will find.

Oh how I love the holidays.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should get together with a bunch of other exchange friends and start an American Christmas market. You could stock great holiday traditions, like cinnamon candles, eggnog, and Tickle-Me Elmo. Just something to think about...

Anonymous said...

Funny story about German words, I got spelled down in this spelling be once when I was a kid on the word "sauerkraut," so if it makes you feel any better, I spelled it just like you did. Close enough, right? People know what we mean, RIGHT?

Oh well, what are you gonna do...

You might not be looking forward to the 23rd, but all of us around here are, because we have your best interests at heart. Just kidding. I mean, we do, but you know... I'm at home from the 19th-27th, but then I'm back 'til school starts because of work. I'm pretty sure Kendra will be here, and also Jon. Party? Party. I promise not to make spaghetti. What I think is spaghetti you would probably not use as compost by now.

You might have Vin Brule, but we have hot dogs, crazed drivers, out-of-control pollution, the 40-hour work week, expensive health insurance, and inferior televised soccer.

Wait, trade you?

Anonymous said...

Knowing what I experienced of food from the UK, I'm not sure a Scottish Christmas market would be any good. Especially if they have things like Cornish Pasties and Minced Pies...ugh. But hey, that's just me, haha. I actually won't be here when you get back on the 23rd. I'm driving home the day before, so I'll just miss you...drat. But I'll be back before new years, so we'll get to hang then.

I'm ready for you to get back so you can make me even more jealous than I already am. Although I did just hang out with Matt Wertz for a couple hours today, so ha! But that's all I got... I'm pretty lame...

Anonymous said...

By the way, I have a funny dream that I meant to tell you. It has nothing to do with German food, or festivities, but when I saw Ben's post I remembered this dream, and thought I'd tell ya!

So, there I was, at a show that was in a very darkened curb cafe/rocketown. And Ben comes up to me, with Ryan's red electric bass in hand, and says, "I can't play tonight, you'll have to go on for me!" So, the bassist extrordanaire that I am, I grabbed the bass, and jumped up on stage. Ben was somehow still there, in the crowd, although he couldn't play, and he was going crazy. The girls that were singing were terrible. So, as I played bass, I tried to help them through "If I could Change the World" by Eric Clapton. Ha! Anyhow, when the whole mess was over, Ben conratulated me on my awesome skills, and offered me every one of his gigs from then until forever. And then I woke up and for serious laughed out loud! Crazy...Hope you're smiling.