19 September 2006

Her name is Simona.

I spent a few hours at my cafè this morning journaling and reading la mia sacra bibbia and in the end discovered that my favorite little cafè worker's name is Simona. (I hope I spelled that correctly.) It's just fantastic. She smiles at me everytime I come in.

This past weekend I went to Cinque Terre which was beautiful in pretty much every respect. It did rain on us though in the afternoon, and the wind made the water choppy so we ended up not being able to take our ferry and then hiked in the rain. But that place was so beautiful, it barely mattered. I take that back - it mattered, but it was still a great trip. Besides just seeing Cinque Terre, I got to ride on a European train through the hills of Tuscany, through Pisa and then north. On our way home I looked out the window and saw clouds just sitting on the hills. It was truly a beautiful sight.

Check out the fotos, but keep in mind I think this may be one place you just have to see for yourself.

It's really beginning to feel like home here. I suppose I mean it is beginning to feel as if I live here. I have decided that there are some things I will be so excited to get to have again from home and then things from here I will miss terribly when I leave. It's strange to be missing everyone and everything from home, but at the same time absolutely loving that I'm here. I need to think on that.

Two little notes of interest:
I found the best enoteca in Florence (well, that I've seen so far). It's really close to the best cafè in Florence which works out well. They fill up the bottles of wine from big barrels and then you bring back your bottle when you finish the wine and they refill them. I bought the Chianti last time, and it was delicious. Today I bought a white wine from San Gimignano.

I bought a journal at a bookbindery. That's right, straight from the bookbindery.

-jessica

(P.S. The comments come to me now before posting, so don't freak when they don't appear immediately. I get to read them first!)



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your commentary and photos. You have such a good eye for beauty and capture it so well.
So her name is Simona... a new friend. I'm glad you like my messages and stories. I'll expand and hope you will save them for the future.
PaPa

Anonymous said...

Censoring your comments, seriously? You've been over there less than a month and you're already picking up fascist ideals. Come on now. Mussolini wasn't that great, really.

Anonymous said...

Jessica,

Your pictures and stories are amazing! I get excited every time that there is a new one. I am so glad that you are having a wonderful time. You are for sure missed here....speaking of that I almost went up and hugged some random person because I thought it was you, then I remember oh yea Jess is in Italy, so I almost hugged a perfect stranger. yes! Have a great day! love you girl!

Tracy

markymark said...

so i totally missed your comment from the other day until today, I'm glad I was able to entertain you for a few moments. i'm assuming things are still going swimmingly there, you should post a recipe on here somtime for some of the stuff you're learning in your cooking class. then we can all practice it back here and feel like we're there. or something.

Anonymous said...

so i've officially become jealous of the fact that you are over there and i'm here working... well, i was pretty jealous before, but now its official. i've been in the "working world" for only a few months and i'm already ready for a vacation. anyways, your pictures are pretty amazing and it sounds like you are really enjoying it. drink a glass of wine for me, or two. we all miss you. have a good one. cheers!