04 September 2006

Firenze è Bella

I've been around this crazy city about a million times now. From my apartment to the Santa Croce to the Duomo to the Piazza de Republicca to San Lorenzo to the Piazza de Uffizi and back again. My feet have been well used, but I'm beginning to learn my way around. The key is to learn a few major streets that take you to key places so you don't feel lost. My favorite street so far is Borgo Albizi. Not only does this bustling borgo take you to the Republicca, but it also contains some of the best shops. I found the most amazing Cartoleria sort of shop. Basically it is a shop where you can buy everything from journals to handmade papers or pens that require a bottle of ink to use them. I believe I could spend at least a few hours in that place or another one I found which I believe was on Via Verdi. Then, I have also found some splendid bookstores. Edison on Piazza de Republicca reminds me of Barnes and Nobles with a little cafe upstairs. It's large and roomie. Then the one on Via Dei Neri which is an English bookstore so I can read all the titles. The markets are also amazing at San Lorenzo especially, but they are just about everywhere - people with their little carts selling leather goods and cheap souvenirs or knock-off purses and sunglasses. Anywho, I think I may just come back a bit less directionally challenged.

A few days ago, maybe Saturday (all my days are running together now) Emily and I walked around the city with the sole purpose of taking photographs. I think I may have gotten some good ones, but besides that we had so much fun. At the Piazza de Uffizi we saw the most amazing mimes. We took pictures with two of them even. Emily even got kissed on the hand by a man acting as some sort of white statue. I'm not going to lie, he was a little creepy. Then we watched this crazy mime run all over this one corner, sneaking up behind unsuspecting tourists and scare them or grab one of their hands and wait for them to notice and then scream or jump or scurry away.
We probably sat there for twenty or thiry minutes laughing. Emily got better pictures of him so you'll have to check out my favorites link on flickr where I'll select those from her photos. We also met these funny old painters just sitting outside the Uffizi. They just started talking to us and teaching us Florentine slang (good and bad). I believe they taught me the Florentine way to say "How's your momma and them?" which my dad will enjoy knowing.

Nights here are beautiful as well. All the little street musicians come out and set up everywhere. Last night my roommates and I walked to Piazza de Republicca and watched these Latin Dancers. They were playing some pretty interesting drum/Latin music. I'm sure one of my more musically inclined friends would have been able to better label that music genre, but you get the idea. On our way there we passed these three guys that I had seen a few evenings earlier. I hope I pass them again too; they were pretty good. In fact, Emily and I stood on the sidewalk for quite a while the first time we walked by them.


Awwe, so good. They had a cd for sale and last night my roommate bought it for 10 euro, so if it works I'll be rather excited.

It's amazing to be out and about around the city seeing things and wearing out my feet, but even sitting in my apartment can be its own adventure. I did laundry the other day - intriguing really. Buying the laundry detergent was even difficult; I know some Italian, but apparently not enough for everything.

Well, I wish I could write more, but my battery is dying, and I've been wanting to try out this great panini shop called the Oil Shoppe and my stomach is telling me it's ready for lunch.

P.S. I hope the pictures show up for everyone. If they don't, let me know, and check out flickr. (the first one is emily's picture, but I was there.)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yahhh... I'm the first to leave a comment. Just checking up on my little sis and making sure she's not getting into too much trouble:) Josh and I went to the beach with Heather and Steve this weekend...camping... oh the memories.... Love ya..

Anonymous said...

Hey you! I get so excited reading this! I'm so glad you are there! I knew you'd love it:) I'm digging the pictures so much! I'll tell sarah about your apartment. Jessica Harrell, I cannot wait to hear amazing stories when you are home, so you better take some good time to make good ones while you are there. Live it up my friend. I made sweet tea yesterday, and I think you would have definately approved. Well, have a great evening, since It's almost dinner time I think over there. Remember to eat some fresh mozzerella for me!

Anonymous said...

They have laundry in Italy?

Just kidding.

Marion M. said...

Awww sounds great.

Hey, I wanted to know what would be a good weekend to visit you this fall. One of my best friends is also studying in London, so she wanted to go to Italy too-- so I think we're going to book a hostel, that way you won't have to worry about having guests over! Plus, there's some nice ones that are pretty cheap.

I am thinking either late October or mid-November (after Thanksgiving)...I know this is far in advance, so no worries if you're not sure! Facebook me or something.....

Anonymous said...

Jess,Sounds like you are having a great time so far. Dad and I are back from the beach. It was wonderful to get away but we missed rummicube. love,mom

Anonymous said...

awww... Rummicube:)

markymark said...

Hey Jess, thanks for the card! (And I did wait until today to open it (look at me and my self-control)) Hope you're at a coffee house and have found a drink you like!